Looking for something to do with the kids this summer? Crown Center is the place to go! Their fun and FREE rotating exhibit space has just transformed into Birdwell Island, better known as home to Clifford the Big Red Dog. Join Clifford, Emily Elizabeth, and all of their friends in this interactive play space that invites children to play and learn as they navigate the setting of Norman Bridwell’s beloved books and Scholastic Entertainment’s PBSKIDS TV show.
Throughout the exhibit, you will find “Clifford’a Big Ideas,” life lessons that can be reinforced with children as they play in each respective section. Big ideas include: work together, be responsible, play fair, share, be truthful, help others, have respect,believe in yourself, be a good friend, and be kind. Designed for anyone, but especially families with children 2-8 years old, there is plenty for everyone to explore in Adventures with Clifford the Big Red Dog!
- Enter the exhibit to be greeted by a 9-foot Clifford and his best friend, Emily Elizabeth. Climb atop his giant paw or slide down his tail.
- A giant dog requires a giant dog bowl and a lot of bones to fill it. Kids will learn about responsibility by using a conveyer belt to fill Clifford’s massive bowl to keep him happy and healthy.
- Step inside Clifford’s larger-than-life dog house and leave him a message or decorate his walls (a large whiteboard) with a rainbow assortment of dry erase markers.
- Bring the littlest Clifford fans to Cleo’s backyard, a semi-enclosed toddler area, where they can crawl through a tunnel or into Cleo’s doghouse. There’s also a shape-sorting challenge to exercise their minds.
- Put on a costume or play the bongos on stage at Emily Elizabeth’s Backyard Theater.
- Join T-Bone and search for sea shells and build sand castles while working on shape recognition at T-Bone’s Beach.
- Take a seat at Samuel’s Fish and Chips Shack or get behind the counter with Samuel and Charley to wait on customers or cook their food. There’s much to be done at the restaurant and kids will have a blast role-playing and working together to get the job done.
- Stop by the Birdwell Island Post Office to mail a letter, sort mail, or even play mailman and deliver envelopes to mailboxes throughout the island.
- Board the Birdwell Island Ferry, where kids can steer the ship and help Victor and Pedro navigate around the lighthouse by following an interactive map.
- Get a glance at the creative process behind Clifford the Big Red Dog at the Norman Bridwell Art Retrospective, featuring artwork and stories from the author and illustrator of the award-winning books
Adventures with Clifford the Big Red Dog, located in the Crown Center Showplace, Level 1, is open now through September 22nd!
- Family restrooms are located just outside of the exhibit showplace.
- Grab a snack or dine at one of the many family-friendly restaurants and shops.
- For more family fun at Crown Center, check out The Coterie Theatre, Kaleidoscope, LEGOLAND Discovery Center, and Sea Life Aquarium, as well as the many family-friendly events throughout the year.