In our family, the ultimate celebration of summer is a perfect bacon, lettuce and tomato (BLT) sandwich. And the key piece of that summer treasure is the B.
Finding the best bacon can be a challenge with so many brands, types and flavors. Until now. Missouri-based Burgers’ Smokehouse offers five different types of bacon to meet all your bacon needs.
Not wanting to limit my options, I cooked all five types of bacon using three different cooking techniques.
Let’s start with the different types of Burgers’ Smokehouse bacon:
- Applewood Smoked Bacon – this bacon has a mild taste and a light smoky flavor. Perfect to add a little bacon flavor in recipes or for breakfast.
- Cajun Hickory Smoked Bacon – bold flavor from the Cajun spices makes this a great bacon for people who enjoy more intense flavor. Great topping for potato casseroles or a burger add on.
- Maple Hickory Smoked Bacon – delicious lightly sweet maple flavor layered on the original seasoning. This is a great bacon for those of us who love a salty sweet mix!
- Original Hickory Smoked Bacon – this is a great standard smoked bacon. The hickory chips provide a wonderful traditional flavor.
- Peppered Hickory Smoked Bacon – edged in black pepper this is ideal for those who tend to reach for the pepper shaker at mealtime. Just enough spice to really enhance the natural flavor of the bacon.
While I didn’t try any cutting edge bacon cooking methods, I did test Burgers’ Smokehouse bacon using my three favorite ways to cook bacon.
Cast iron skillet with meat press
The cast iron skillet is my go to for any meat I want to get a good crisp on. Using the hot cast iron skillet and placing the hot meat press on top of the bacon created an amazing crisp bacon that was perfectly flat and sandwich ready. This was also the quickest of the cooking options I tried.
Don’t “at me” foodies I know it’s not perfect, bust as any parent knows sometimes fast is the priority. Unlike many bacon brands I have tried, I was thrilled that the Burgers’ bacon didn’t shrink up even in the microwave. Because the slices are thick I had to put the bacon back in for a couple extra minutes.
This is a great way to make a lot of bacon at one time without having to pay too much attention to it. It worked really well, but again the generous slices required some additional cooking time to get a crisp piece of bacon.
With the addition of great bread (not toasted), juicy vine ripe tomatoes, crisp leaf lettuce and a light spread of may we created some of the best BLT’s we have ever had!
So at the end of my bacon cooking, sandwich making event, as usual, our family of BLT fans had different opinions on which flavor they preferred. One thing was clear, Burgers’ Smokehouse Bacon is an amazing product, and we loved all the flavors.
You can find Burgers’ Smokehouse bacon at Price Choppers, Sun Fresh, Hen House and Hy-Vee and other local grocery stores. Check online before you go!
Give it a try, I know you’re tastebuds will be glad you did!