As the weather warms up and the COVID numbers go down, many of us are ready to emerge from our homes, sit on a restaurant patio, and let someone else serve dinner!
I have missed restaurants so much. My husband and I are looking forward to date nights soon once we are fully vaccinated—our babysitters already are! We’re also excited to get out with the kids, too, who have been asking to go to a restaurant for ages. Patios are perfect for families because you don’t have to worry as much about your child’s volume, and if you need to get up and go for a little walk to get the wiggles out while you wait for your food, you can more easily do so.
I asked fellow Kansas City Mom Collective contributors as well as local friends to recommend their favorite family friendly local patios and narrowed it down to ten to share with you as you gear up for patio season!
- Bier Station near Brookside/Waldo. I appreciate that this brewery has a kids menu (hot dogs, my daughter’s favorite!) and strives to be a family friendly place that you can feel comfortable bringing your kids. They are in the process of renovating, so there will be even more room for your family soon. I love their community focus, even holding COVID vaccination events in their parking lot.
- Brewery Emperial in KCMO near the Crossroads district. I love any place that takes reservations, especially if you can reserve outdoor seating like you can here! They have fire pits in their beer garden and you can even make your own s’mores! This is a large beer garden so plenty of room for families with some tricycles, cornhole, and a tetherball pole to entertain the kids with.
- Char Bar in Westport. You’ll find a huge outdoor area here with free cornhole and bocce ball and ping pong for a small fee. This is a great place to meet up with your friends with kids and enjoy a meal together and some yard games. Their brunch specials on the weekend are great too.
- Chicken N Pickle in North Kansas City (and opening a
location at Prairiefire in Overland Park later this year). I have not played pickleball myself, but I do enjoy watching others play it! You can reserve an indoor or outdoor court by the hour if you want to come and play with your friends. There are also outdoor yard games you can enjoy for free, and a full menu including options for kids.
- Grinders Stonewall in Lenexa. I love that the Grinders patio feels like being out in nature when you’re in the middle of the suburbs. They have picnic tables that will fit the whole family and lots of green space for kids to run around. They host fun events like movie and trivia nights, live music, and beach blanket bingo.
- Iron District in North Kansas City. Featuring a variety of food and retail vendors housed in shipping containers, the Iron District is a fun new spot for families to enjoy. There’s live music, yard games, and lots of different restaurant options to please everyone.
- Rock & Brews at Prairiefire in Overland Park. We love the patio at Rock & Brews for a few reasons. It can be enclosed, covered, or open air depending on the weather, and it’s kid friendly AND dog friendly (they even have a special dog menu!) Kids eat free on Mondays with purchase of an adult entree, and they have happy hour specials seven days a week. They’ve also had patio games in the past like corn hole and giant Connect 4.
- Strang Hall in downtown Overland Park houses six different restaurants and a bar that opens out to the patio. There are tons of seating options including tables, steps, turf, and couches. My kids loved running around on the turf after dinner, and we made the two minute walk over to the new Thompson Park for more playtime after our meal.
- Taco Republic in Kansas City, KS. You’ll find a generously sized enclosed and open air patio here, and during non-COVID times, they have yard games to enjoy. Their $6 kids menu will help feed your family without breaking the bank. Their second location in Prairie Village opens later this year and will have a lawn with family friendly yard games. We can’t wait to visit!
- Ward Parkway Restaurant Pavilion in KCMO. With several restaurants to choose from, you can find something to please everyone and enjoy your meal out on the restaurant’s covered patio or grab it to go and eat in the grassy turf area. Torchy’s Tacos is my personal favorite and Hawaiian Bros is opening up soon as well. You can also grab some great food from from Hurt’s Donuts, Charleston’s, or Smitty’s Garage Burgers and Beer.