Grocery shopping. It is a necessary evil. I am always on the lookout for a store that offers anything at all that can make it halfway pleasant. Cue McKeever’s Market & Eatery! The folks at the new store located at the southwest corner of 435 and 87th Street in Lenexa invited the Kansas City Moms Blog team to cruise through the aisles and check out everything McKeever’s has to offer. And let me tell you, they have a lot to offer.
First off, the store is conveniently located near Lenexa’s City Center, so it is an easy stop if you happen to be visiting the new Johnson County Library, Lenexa Rec Center or Public Market just west of 435. One of the first things I noticed when walking into the store was how big and open it is. There is clearly a big focus on fresh fruits and vegetables and equally as big a focus on convenience.
Here are just some of the pro tips for my fellow shoppers.
- Grab a drink and a treat before you hit the aisles at the full-service coffee, tea, and drink bar called Range Beverage House. This area also features a bunch of Tea Biotics kombucha on tap! Most importantly, you can snag a locally made cinnamon roll that is as big as your face. For real.
- McKeever’s features grab and go meals. We had the chance to try the meatloaf, mashed potatoes and corn meal. It was more than enough for our family of four and all I had to do was heat it for 20 minutes and then eat! These will be a lifesaver for me on nights when I have to go back to work for meetings at night or if we are rushing to whatever kid activity is tying up our night. I truly think it will prevent my admittedly too frequent fast food run-throughs!
- The pineapple machine in the store is one of the more fascinating things I have seen lately. You pick your pineapple, put it in the machine, hit a couple buttons and it peels, cores and quarters the pineapple before dropping it in a plastic container for you! Amazing!
- You can make your own fresh peanut butter or almond butter. They have a grinder for each near a row of bins where you can grab a variety of snacks including trail mix and yogurt-covered raisins.
- The selection everywhere is pretty insane. I saw products I had never seen before. The floral, deli, produce, meat, seafood and bakery sections are huge and the prices seem very comparable to my regular grocery store.
- A large craft beer section is stocked with some great local beers. You can also mix your own six-pack for $10.99, which is a fun option if you are looking to try some new brews.
Now get ready for this. I have certainly saved the best for last. If you are like me, you are always looking for ways to multitask and to save time. McKeever’s has an app that allows you to order your deli meat and cheese ahead of time, and then it alerts you when it is ready for you to swing by to pick up. Even better, you can scan your items as you shop, pay through the app and SKIP. THE. CHECKOUT. LINE. Yep. You read that correctly. That means if your kids are with you, you get to avoid the anxiety associated with all that dang candy right at your kids’ eye level that can trigger a major meltdown following a shopping stint. I know you know what I am talking about.
Check out McKeever’s Market & Eatery for yourself whether you have a regular grocery-shopping trip planned or just to grab a bite to eat! It is located at 8800 Maurer Boulevard in Lenexa and is open from 6 a.m. to midnight daily.