We’re approaching Mothers Day, and in my almost four years of being a mother, my absolute must have no matter the age or stage of my child is my girlfriends. Whether you’re a social butterfly with friends upon friends upon friends or more of a one amazing friend makes my heart sing type of gal, I think this time of year while celebrate mamas is the perfect time to also celebrate our friends. So here are my Top 10 Best Things About Girlfriends:
- They love you and they love your babies. They show it in the most amazing ways. My girlfriends are my daughter’s aunties and she loves them so much. It’s amazing to see that they love her just as much.
- They show up. Whether it’s in person, by mail or over the phone, they rally when needed with zero hesitation. Sick parent? Traumatic birth? Really really crappy day at work? They are there in a way that just makes it feel, at least for a little bit, like it all will be OK. A strong support system of friends can heal so many wounds.
- They are honest. Incredibly honest. Whether you’re talking postpartum sex or schooling struggles or looking for outfit advice when you realize leggings are, in fact, not appropriate wedding guest wear, they are going to give it to you straight.
- They are perceptually amazing at knowing just the right time to hand you a drink, a tissue, a bouquet of flowers or a helmet for banging your head against the wall. Like, as a girlfriend you just know what one of your own needs before they even ask. It’s such a great feeling.
- They understand that “playdate at my house” means copious amounts of coffee, cake and gossip on the couch or back deck while the kids run around and entertain each other. No crazy themed crafts, no field trips, no fancy meals. Just good food, good company and carbs!
- They know that any excuse for a night out is a good excuse and will clear their calendar for you at a moment’s notice if at all possible. And if a night out doesn’t work, I’ve taught my friends to love brunch as much as I do and it’s a darn fine replacement for a night out when schedules and commitments only allow daytime meetups.
- They dry your tears and give the best hugs and they will squeeze your hand in a way that conveys all of their love when your world is breaking. I’ve been given those hugs, and I’ve given them out. They are hard to receive and hard to give. But they are what your soul needs in times where everything feel like it’s falling apart. Whether it’s job loss, parent loss, child illness, marital strife, infertility, the list goes on and on and no matter what the situation, knowing that your girlfriends are there with you with their arms around you and their hands squeezing yours you aren’t alone. It’s so powerful.
- They will laugh with you at the most absurd things your child does and patiently wait while you tell them a week’s worth of adorable kid stories. Then they’ll return the favor and you’ll laugh all over again at their kids’ antics. I love to talk about my child, and I’m forever grateful for my friends who listen to me ramble on about her. And of course, I’m always happy to return the favor.
- They have the ability to hear about your partner’s every irritating move and not burn it down at each instance. Now, this is probably friend/partner/irritating move dependent, but my girlfriends are happy to shake their heads with me as we dissect each move our partner’s make that makes us cringe and yet they are able to laugh the ridiculousness off and not hold a grudge.
- They know that they have your heart and your friendship and your love and your good thoughts and kismet and your prayers and any and every other good thing you’re throwing out there into the universe, and you know you have theirs.
Here’s to our girlfriends! Tell us below what the best things about your girlfriends are!