With COVID-19 still making date night out a challenge, this Valentine’s Day we’re celebrating with a little at-home date night after the kids are in bed. There are lots of great local choices for both grazing boards and locally made chocolate as well as opportunities to get a great meal for two to-go. Here are a few options in each category that I crowdsourced from friends and other KCMC contributors. Valentine’s Day is a great time to support your favorite local places or try a new one!
Many are offering Valentine’s Day specials in addition to their usual offerings. We usually DIY these so it’s a fun treat to get one made by a professional!
- Geo’s Cheese: Buy a handmade board and a variety of cheese, meats, and other accoutrements to make your own grazing board or buy one made by their in house charcutier, Claire the Charcutier. I love that the boards are vacuum sealed for easy transport and freshness! You can also buy directly from Claire, like we did for the recent Chiefs’ playoff game!
- Graze and Gather KC: In addition to traditional grazing boards, you can order fun themed boards like birthday boards, unicorn (so cute!), s’mores board, etc.
- Momo and Poppy’s: Based out of Lee’s Summit, Madison makes all kinds of creative grazing boards, boxes, and tables. Reach out through her Facebook page for pricing and more info. I love the individual cones, perfect for a snack!
- More Cheese Please KC: We ordered a board from More Cheese Please for our Valentine’s Day celebration. We will probably have to hide it from the kids or they will devour it before we get a chance! I like her range of prices and the pickup location in Roeland Park is convenient for me.
- The Indigo Platter Co.: The whipped honey and cinnamon goat cheese dip on her website has my mouth watering. In addition to the classic grazing boards, she also offers bagel brunch boards as well as take and bake brie.
Dinner for Two To-Go:
- Price Chopper: All area locations are offering a steak and lobster for 2 special for $24 with instructions for how to prepare at home. They also have chocolate covered strawberries, baked goodies, and bouquets you can pick up to make your date night at home extra special.
- Tabard’s Kitchen in Overland Park: Offering a dinner for 2 for $50 including crab bisque or house salad, two entree options, and chocolate fondue for dessert!
- Trezo Mare in the Northland: They are offering a 3 course meal at a couple of different price points ($38/$48 per person). Must pre-order by February 11th for pickup on the 13th or 14th.
- Price Rite Market & Deli in the Northland: For $44.99 you get dinner for two including salads, prime rib, shrimp scampi, and cannoli. Order by Wednesday February 10th.
- Chef Kansas City: They will deliver the meal for two to you with instructions on how to reheat it. Their 3 course meal includes a charcuterie box, surf and turf, salad, sides, dessert, and a bottle of wine for $150. Order by Feb 12th for delivery on the 14th.
Once you have GOOD chocolate, it’s impossible to go back. We have so many amazing chocolatiers here in the KC area. Here are a few you should check out for something sweet.
- Andre’s Confiserie Suisse: Stop by their location near the Plaza or in Overland Park to shop from their wide selection of gourmet Swiss chocolates and other treats.
- Annedore’s Fine Chocolates: Located in Westwood Hills, Annedore’s offers all kinds of chocolates and candies; for Valentine’s Day, they also offer chocolate covered strawberries!
- Bliss Chocolatier: They have the most gorgeous painted bonbons (almost too pretty to eat). You can order on their website or stop into their shop in Blue Springs.
- Christopher Elbow: I think Elbow chocolates were our introduction to really good chocolate, and it has been a favorite ever since for anniversaries and special occasions. The heart shaped chocolates are giving me heart eyes! You can stop into their shop or find them at other locations around the metro (and buying online is always a choice of course).
- Laura Little’s Candies: I will forever be grateful to the friend that introduced me to Laura Little’s. The fudge! The candies! The peanut butter fudge cookies! Everything is amazing. Stop by, grab a number, and wait for your turn in this old fashioned shop. If you want to send some to a loved one, you can order online and have it shipped.