With all the uncertainty surrounding the re-opening plans for schools across the metro has many parents opting to keep their kids home this fall. If homeschooling isn’t your jam and you are looking for support from certified teachers with live classes, virtual academy or online schools might just be what you’re looking for. It’s an option that is proving to be quite popular among parents as they decide school plans for this fall. Here’s a list of virtual school options in Kansas and Missouri.
Tuition-Free Online Education
While there are many options in Kansas for tuition-free virtual education this article focuses on schools that offer education for K-12 students. In Missouri reach out to your specific district with questions about enrollment in online education programs as districts are required to sign off on applications.
- K12 – K12 is a fully accredited, tuition-free public virtual program with schools in many states including Kansas and Missouri. K12 focuses on student engagement and meeting the needs of their diverse student population. K12 also offers a tuition-based private school option for international students, part-time students, or students/parents who are interested in enrichment. Students at K12 will build relationships with certified teachers in a personalized classroom setting.
- Kansas Connections Academy – Kansas Connections Academy is a tuition-free online public K-12 school with fully certified teachers. Students build relationships with their classroom teacher(s), and meet daily in live sessions with instructors. Parents serve as learning coaches and assist in the student’s education. Real-time progress is tracked daily and many parents say this is the most gratifying process online learning.
- Lawrence Virtual School – LVS is an online public charter school for K-12 residents across the state. They boast a world-class curriculum and numerous supplementary educational opportunities. This is a self-paced program with periodic check-in’s from certified teachers.
- Basehor Linwood Virtual School – BLVS is an online accredited virtual curriculum for K-12 and adult learners looking to get their high school diploma from an accredited institution rather than a GED. Classes are taught by certified educators who also work full time in the face to face classrooms in the Basehor Linwood School District. While there is no live instruction, teachers can be reached via email to set up special times to meet with students. Enrollment is open to Kansas residents.
Private Online Education
- Barstow Global Online – Barstow Global Online is a new online education program that is launching fall 2020. With over 135 years of excellence in education, Barstow is evolving, and meeting students’ needs in the online environment. Barstow Global Online is uniquely prepared to serve today’s students in a changing educational environment. Check out one of their monthly virtual education open houses to learn more about BGO.
- Pearson Online Academy – Pearson Online Academy has a proven track record of college preparatory success with its online curriculum. The courses are taught by talented certified teachers and classes are accessible anywhere, anytime.
- The Keystone School – The Keystone School is a K-12 accredited tuition-based online school. They offer flexible learning and rolling enrollment to meet the needs of each of their families. Flexibility is the foundation of their approach and they use it to build future leaders.